Pages

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

paper Hibiscus / video

Pin It
It's another cold wet winter day here in Oz but warm at heart with this paper hibiscus. Ive been so inspired by Joannes no tool flowers and asked her some time ago if it was alright to post a few of my own designs and this Hibiscus is one of them. This was also the last card i gave my mum in law when she was last in hospital.

you will need:

light weight card
inks
coloured pencils and markers
Med sun punch
glues
emboss mat
Pattern.
The Hula girl is a sizzix sizzlits die

Cut 5 petals from the pattern, 1 sun punch, 1 thick end of the stamen and 1 thin stamen top with 2 slits cut in the end ( refer to the pattern for measurements). ink all these.

next to add more colour to the petals i simply used a crayola pencil and a regular texter or marker.starting at the pointed tip and flicking the colour towards you.

to shape the petals i used my makeshift deet tool which is a knitting needle glued into a piece of dowel. start at the point pressing firm drag the tool along the petal and fan this out as you go always starting at the point

emboss all five. this kind of embossing will create the curl in the petals you want without doing any other shaping.

Cut a circle of scrap about 1" round and this will be the base to glue the petals to. You can draw some dividing lines as a guide if you like.

A range all five petals and let the glue dry.

Now roll the thicker bottom of the stamen and glue up.

colour glue and slide in the center the of the roll the top longer stamen with the slits.

Cut a circle from the center of the sun punch and apply some glue to the center. place at the top and roll the sun frill around ...

Glue closed and bend down the long center stamens...once dry with a strong glue attach to the center of your flower

add glitter to the stamen and some crystal glitter to the base if you can see some glue

leaves are easy using your emboss tool make a line down the center and veins on the sides and add some inked edges to highlight the embossing. make at least 3 leaves.

Use foam tape 3 layers think to support the petals. Remember to let all this dry before attaching to you card......follow this link for the Video Tutorial .....I hope you have enjoyed its been a labor of love ..Valita

When i taught this in my class my friend Joan came up with this double hibiscus! isn't it beautiful!! thanks Joan for your inspiration.

and a last thought

Dear brother, you have been given freedom:
not freedom to do wrong, but freedom to love
and serve each other.
Galatians 5:13




10 comments:

US Sis said...

This is fabulous!! Thank you so much for sharing!

lorene said...

oh, I love how easy you make it look! your card is awesome! can ask ask about the hula dancer? I love her too!!!

thanks for sharing....

Lorene H

MariLynn said...

Valita, this is gorgeous. More paper flowers. Yeah!!! Thanks for sharing. I love your flowers as well as Joanne's. I will have to give this hibiscus a try.

Busym1 said...

What a beautiful flower! Thanks for sharing! michelle

Dih Rocha said...

Olá! Conheci seu cantinho e é tudo de bom! Lindo e criativo!...
Amei mesmo!!!
Parabéns pelo seu trabalho!
Se puder, dê uma espiadinha no meu:
magiadaines.blogspot.com
Beijinhos carinhosos.
Itabira - Brasil

Anonymous said...

stunning...you make it look so effortlessly easy

Minerva

Smilie girl said...

I like the comment from Brazil! I agree that you are very creative. This card is awesome. I am really impressed how you have made the hibiscus so life like. I will look forward to the video. I bet that would be a big job too.

Smilie girl said...

Hello again, Valita I've just realised that I didn't express my sympathies at the time of the passing of your mother-in-law. I'm sure you all miss her. Love to all your family.

Sharon said...

I love this. I made one myself and I think it turned out pretty good. Of ourse-I gave you full credit for the pattern. You can see mine on my blog if you would like

Unknown said...

Love this flower, thanks for sharing. I gave it a go but mine is now way near as good as yours!!